Educational (College) Expenses

If you are the custodial parent of a child that is over the age of 17 and/or has graduated high school that plans on enrolling, or is currently enrolled in college or another post-secondary educational institution, you may be able to receive financial assistance from the child's non-custodial parent with college expenses.

Expenses that can be covered by college expenses may include:

  • tuition

  • room-and-board

  • books and other school supplies

  • medical expenses; or

  • general costs of living

Additionally, if your child has not yet applied to college, you may be able to obtain funds to finance college application fees, college entrance examination fees, or a preparatory course for a college entrance examination. If your child has applied to college, your child must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and any other financial aid forms prior to you filing for college expenses.

Your child may be DISQUALIFIED from receiving college expenses if they:

  • turn over the age of 23 while attending college

  • enter into a marriage or civil union while attending college; or

  • fail to maintain a cumulative "C" grade average while attending college