SAEF Legal Aid logo. Click to return to home pageMobile menu. Click to view page options.
X button. Click to close window.

Educational (College) Expenses

Please note that the legal information presented on this page is written for those living in the state of Illinois.

What Does it Mean?

If your child is enrolled or planning on going to college, you may be able to receive payments from the child's other parent towards the cost of their education. These payments are called educational expenses.

How Does it Work?

Only a child's legal parent can receive or pay educational expenses. Generally speaking, only a child's custodial parent can receive payments from the child's non-custodial parent.

Costs covered by educational expenses may include:

  • tuition
  • room-and-board
  • books and other school supplies
  • medical expenses; or
  • general costs of living

Your child must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and any other financial aid forms before you file for educational expenses.

Things You Should Know

If your child has not yet applied to college, you may be able to get educational expenses for other relevant costs. These could include: 

  • college application fees
  • fees for college entrance exams like the ACT/SAT; or
  • a prep course(s) for the ACT/SAT

Your child may be DISQUALIFIED from receiving educational expenses if they:

  • turn over the age of 23 while attending college
  • enter into a marriage or civil union while attending college; or
  • fail to keep a "C" grade average while attending college

See Related