What Does it Mean?
If you and your spouse or partner agree to a divorce or to dissolve your civil union, a joint-petition for simplified dissolution is the fastest way to do so.
Things You Should Know
You can only file for a joint-petition for simplified dissolution if:
- You and your spouse/partner DO NOT have any minor children together. This includes adopted minor children, as well as being pregnant
- Both you and your spouse/partner are able to support yourselves financially (without help from the other)
- Either you or your spouse/partner is a resident of Illinois, or is stationed as a member of the military for at least 90 days
- You and your spouse/partner were together for LESS than eight (8) years
- You and your spouse/partner waive the right to receive alimony (maintenance) payments from the other; and
- Meet all additional financial requirements