SAEF Legal Aid logo. Click to return to home pageMobile menu. Click to view page options.
X button. Click to close window.


Please note that the legal information presented on this page is written for those living in the state of Illinois.

What Does it Mean?

Relocation is defined as moving over 25 miles to a new home or residence.

Things You Should Know

Caregivers with legal custody or visitation rights with a minor child MUST notify the child's other caregiver of their plans to relocate. This must be through a notice of motion AT LEAST 60 days before the planned move.

The motion for relocation must include:

  • the expected date of the parent's relocation, if available
  • the address of the new place of residence, if available
  • how long you are planning to relocate for

Only a child's custodial parent can relocate with the child.

See Related