Temporary Maintenance (Alimony)

Temporary maintenance (alimony) refers to payments made to your spouse or partner while the two of you are getting or currently are legally separated, OR are in the process of dissolving your marriage (divorce) or dissolving your civil union.   

Generally speaking, a spouse or partner will only be ordered to a pay temporary maintenance if both parties are working towards getting a divorce or dissolving a civil union. 

If ordered, the paying party will have to continue to make payments throughout the duration of the dissolution proceeding, unless otherwise specified. Failure to make payments on time may result in harsh penalties. 

If you experience a substantial change in financial circumstances, such as a change in employment status or the added presence of a mental or physical disability, you may be able to modify the temporary maintenance fees.